Development & Investment Analyst Europe and Asia Pacific
CitizenM hotels is a fully integrated hotel real estate investor, property developer and lifestyle hotel operator centered around the concept of “affordable luxury”.
The development & investment (D&I) team is responsible for growing the citizenM real estate investment portfolio into selected target markets in Europe, North America and Asia Pacific, preferably through the acquisition of existing buildings suitable for (re-)development into citizenM hotels.
Next to sourcing the deal, the D&I team is responsible for the commercial development and underwriting of the project including arranging investment committee approval. As part of the underwriting process, information is gathered from all departments within citizenM. The D&I team works closely together with the in-house architects and project management team responsible for the technical execution of the project alongside the local specialists.
The expansion strategy is based on developing multiple hotels per target market with a focus on major metropolitan cities sharing some previously identified investment criteria. The current portfolio consist of ca. 40 hotels of which over 20 under development in major cities such as Paris, San Francisco, Miami and Rome.
The Analyst has a key supporting position in the real estate development and investment team, providing inputs to evaluate and acquire real estate development and/or conversion investment opportunities in Europe and Asia Pacific. Below is an indicative time allocation of the Analyst’s average working day:
- 70% deal-related – preparing detailed financial modelling for the analysis of real estate investment opportunities and post-investment asset management activities, liaising with internal and external partners for required inputs, writing investment documents for senior management and shareholders and supporting the team throughout the whole acquisition process;
- 10% market analysis – liaising with real estate players in target markets and analysis of competitors;
- 20% general team and company support – presentations, preparations for market trips, company’s strategic projects with broad exposure to other teams;
- as a regular activity – monitoring the property and hotel markets of citizenM’s target cities in order to support the regular update of the global roll-out strategy.
Qualifications / skills
- must have a master degree in real estate
- other educational backgrounds are considered only in case of a one to two years working experience in a real estate investment role
- strong real estate and financial modelling skills
- excellent quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- able to work independently and manage time efficiently and effectively
- working diligently with great attention to detail
- interest in the real estate investment industry, curiosity about hotels and deal-making
- team player with a resourceful attitude
- willingness to work in an entrepreneurial hands-on environment, which on limited peak moments include flexibility in working hours
- open-minded attitude towards learning new skills, adopting agile mindset and
- excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and equivalent Google programs.
- EU passport or working permit for Europe
- possibility to travel to European cities (on average once every second month)